Wednesday 20 June 2018

British Steel 2

A nice 2 day event at the Underworld. I missed the first edition of this fest last year but I gave it a shot this time. It was sadly very poorly attended. The Friday night saw 3 bands performing and the crowd was barely over 50.

First band were locals Se3ven Sisters. They were Maiden worshippers and really really good.
Next up were old timer Salem. They were a meat n' potatoes NWOBHM band. Just OK in my book.

Headliner for the first night was Avenger who I know zilch about. They were actually pretty good but still not as good as Seven Sisters who were band of the night.

Saturday came and I returned to the Underworld for a five band bill of trad and true heavy metal from the UK. I missed most of Toledo Steel as they played the last two songs as I walked in. The crowd was again very small and barely reaching 3 figures. TS were ok.

Next up were Neuronspoiler. Seen these guys a couple of times and they are very tight live. Some of their tunes are very catchy and they have a very flashy, live wire guitarist. More Maiden worship but they have their own sound too.

Next up were Eliminator from oop north somewhere. Manchester possibly as the singer did say it but I don't recall now. The singer really was the best and most interesting of the night. A proper air raid siren that fella! I enjoyed Eliminator's Maiden on speed worship.

Next up were my fave new UK trad band, Primitai. They were promoting the new album which is shit hot I kid you not. These guys are always super professional live and put on an outstanding live show. Lead singer Guy has a great live voice and they drew the biggest audience of the night of just about a 100 or so.

Headliners were old timers and dark NWOBHM band Desolation Angels. They were quite doomy and dark. Second time seeing these guys. The crowd had thinned out a but for these guys but they were ok with some cool head banging sections.

I enjoyed the 2 day fest though obviously only diehards gave a shit. I'll go again next year if they can get another decent line up of true and trad metal. Best 3 bands Seven Sisters, Primitai and Eliminator.

No comments: