Wednesday 20 May 2015

Flotsam and Jetsam live at the Camden Underworld

Well it's always good to see older bands for the first time and so it proved to be with the Flotsam and Jetsam guys. I can never admit to being a huge fan of these guys that's for certain but I thought it would be really cool to see how they played live and they didn't disappoint at all.

There were two support bands to get through before Flots ripped us a new one. First band were an English mob by the name of Desolator. I think I heard and dismissed them as average in the past but I was hoping to be entertained by them but alas they didn't float my boat. The bass sound was kind of interesting with it's twangy loud rumbles but the riffing and song writing was bog standard in this band. I guess if you're drunk enough you can enjoy this simplistic Motorheadish thrash but it didn't do anything for me though they weren't completely horrible either.

Second act were a female fronted thrash band called Bliksem. I have actually heard their album last year I believe but it was rather plain but not terrible by any means. In the live setting these guys were pretty tight and the chick's vocals were ok but their song writing is just mundane to my ears. They were at least respectable though and went down a bit better than the first band if nothing else.

The turn around between the main support and Flots was pretty quick and soon the stage was set up. I must admit the turn out for Flots was pretty disappointing but probably around a 150 or so but it was a Monday night and the band just doesn't have enough of a profile and remains a cult phenomena no doubt. Anyhow the band sounded good and as Eric said they concentrated mainly on their first two albums. Not that I could tell you what's what as I'm not hugely familiar with any of their material. The band has two shit hot riffers though and with an excellent vocalist like Erin A.K. on the mic there was lots to enjoyed. Only problem was the PA was a little too loud and Eric's vocals were drowned out sometimes and it was hard to hear him clearly. The band were tight as hell and played for almost 90 minutes and were applauded loudly by the crowd as they returned for the encore.

No doubt I will never be a huge fan of the band but it was good to tick them off the "bands that I've yet to see live" list if nothing else. Plus their musicianship is second to none with awesome guitar acrobatics throughout their songs. I just wish I could hear Eric's great vocals a little bit clearer but that's live metal for you. Everything louder than everything else!

Desolator





















Bliksem

























Flotsam and Jetsam












No comments: