Friday 2 November 2018

Saxon Live

Not sure how many times it is now that I've seen Saxon live but it's definitely the 3rd that I can remember and it might be even the 4th or 5th but when you go to as many gigs as me it's all a big blur. Anyway I missed Saxon last time so this time with the great Thuderbolt album to play songs off of, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and boy did they deliver!

First up were Wayward Sons. I like these guys. Ballsy English rock. Catchy tunes. Look forward to their next album. Gonna sound old as the hills again but the volume was tooo loud for these guys. Turn it down a bit so we can hear better! They played 30 minutes and were politely received though I don't think to many of the old bastards in the packed Roundhouse knew who they were.

Now Y&T were supposed to be the main support but Dave Meniketti did his back in and they cancelled the whole Euro tour. I was actually looking forward to Y&T when I booked my ticket as it's one of those old timers I can tick off my list but alas that will have to wait for another day or probably never lol, but who knows. Not a big Y&T fan but just to say I've seen'em once at least anyway. So yes they were replaced with ever reliable stalwarts of English AOR, FM. Ok so they were much lighter than the headliners but they just have a perfect sound and Steve Overland is a top notch crooner. I guess some of the old codgers were a bit non plussed by Saxon and the response was a bit muted but I was loving it. Nice bit of dadrock! Second times I'm seeing them this year too. They never disappoint and their songs are all so good. FM FTW!

Finally at dead on 9 the intro for Saxon kicked in and were off....with Thunderbolt the title cut and heavy pounder from their latest LP. Great stuff. It was getting pretty damn sweaty at the front and I was not too far from it about 7-8 rows back. The sound was about twice as loud as it was for FM and I could feel my rib cage rattling to the booming bass. The band sounds as bloody heavy as ever. Biff is 67 but he still commands the stage although the movements are perhaps a little slower hehe! Not to worry they are on tip top form. Both guitarists crunch out the riffs whilst bassman Nibbs Carter is the serial metal lunatic in the band. That dude is a real nutter I tell ya. Playing that rumbling finger bass and head banging for all he's worth non stop whilst mouthing lyrics. A raging ball of things rumbling and bassy!

The songs flowed heavy and fast, slow and moody and pounding. I didn't get my fave track Lionheart but I didn't expect to. I was merely hoping for a deep cut but they mainly play classics and newer cuts. Solid Ball of Rock was a standout for me. Love that banger. I also loved the new cuts most. Sons of Odin and the Motorhead tribute They Played Rock n Roll. Great rocking. They played longa dn I mean long. Just slightly over 2 damn hours and they even squeezed in an extra song.

Saxon still brings it live and look how old Biff is. They've already stated they'll be releasing another album in 2019 since you never know what's round the corner healthwise. They looked ok and I think they can do this for a few more years but once Biff hits 70 well the old bones maybe creaking just that bit too much even if the brain is willing you know what I mean??? lololol!

This setlist is not exact 'cause they played a couple more tunes hence running over but it's close enough.
Thunderbolt
Sacrifice
Nosferatu (The Vampires Waltz)
Motorcycle Man
Predator
Strong Arm of the Law
Battering Ram
Play Video
Power and the Glory
Solid Ball of Rock
The Secret of Flight
Dallas 1 PM
They Played Rock and Roll
And the Bands Played On
Never Surrender
747 (Strangers in the Night)
Sons of Odin
Crusader
Princess of the Night

Encore:
The Eagle Has Landed
Heavy Metal Thunder

Encore 2:
Wheels of Steel
Denim and Leather

No comments: