Friday 2 November 2018

Threshold Live

4th gig in 10 days so it's been busy of late. 31st gig of the year I believe though I could be one out. I believe I'll reach 38 or 39 at year's end. Not up to last year's record 44 but could easily have been since I missed a lot of gigs this year.

Anyway so Threshold came along again after just playing earlier in the year. I missed the first gig due to it clashing with another gig which I had a prior ticket for. Only that was a regulat threshold show and this was them playing Legend of the Shires in its entirety.

First up were Swiss heavy rockers Maxxwell. Just ok stuff. Couple of good songs. Singer is a dead ringer for Draiman the Disturbed guy. Not vocally but looks wise.

Next up were Greeks The Silent Wedding. Seen these guys live a couple of times before. They're ok but not my cuppa. Long winded slightly morose prog metal. Singer can wail like a champ though I give him that.

at 9:10 on a Sunday night the Threshold boys strode on the stage and proceeded to play the album in its entirety as promised. Followed by 2 encore songs in Pressure and Slipstream. There were roughly 300 people in attendance which is ok for a Sunday night. And these were hardcore Threshold fans if such a thing exists lol. They were mouthing literally all the words. I was interested to hear how Glynn Morgan sounded live and he was good, but having heard all the Threshold singers now I put him in 3rd place. Mac top, then Damian then Glynn. But he is very good. The band performs the album perfectly with a great crunchy sound. What surprised me was the Morgan sometimes picks up the guitar to provide backing when Karl Groom does solos to make the band sound much heavier and better. Kudos for that. Fave songs were most of side 1 of the disc which I feel features the better songs. Side 2 they go full epic and stretch it out but Superior Machine was excellent from the second half.

They returned for a short 2 song encore with the songs Pressure and Slipstream. They sounded great on those and made me miss not seeing their regular set earlier in the year. Everyone should check them out if they can, they sound so good. Must admit I did miss Damian a little. That dude has such an expressive voice but it's no biggie. Threshold rules period.

No comments: