Friday 2 November 2018

Primal Fear Live

The first time with PF for me and what a real solid night of true heavy metal.

First band were Frenchies Existance. I missed some of their set as they were already on stage as I walked in. Not bad. I think I've dismissed them in the past on their studio output but they were a good livener to start things off.

Next up were Riot or Riot V to use this incarnation of the band. THey were truly excellent. Todd Michael Hall screamed like a banshee although he made it all seem so effortless as he strode around the stage doing true metal poses and moves etc. The band was on great form with both guitarists cracking out top leads. I must admit I'm not super huge on the Riot back catalogue but they played songs both old and new. Very enjoyable set of galloping true metal indeed. Oh and special mention to Frank Gilchriest aka The Kraken. The ex Virgin Steele skin basher was a true beast behind his kit. Pounding them to kingdom come!

Finally at 9:25 or so the German powerhouse that is Primal Fear strode confidently on the stage with main man Ralf striding on last as the band launches into opener Final Embrace. This was teh 11th show on the tour so far as Ralf would proclaim later on and the band was in tip top shape. Riffs were scything and cutting through the PA like sharp razors.

Second song Chainbreaker took us back in time to the band's very first classic with song along by the crowd with urgings by Ralf. The crowd was not huge by any means probbaly around 300-350 or so and the venue holds double that easy. Of course that meant there was a bit more room to be comfortable however I was at the front about 3rd row and about 10 or so boisterous guys started moshing and were bumping into the old people trying to enjoy their power metal in peace! I have nothing against moshing at thrash death but at power metal shows it seems a bit stupid to me but I am fucking old don't forget. Problem is I ended up having to fend some drunk idiot who kept slamming in to me all the time. Fucking drunk dickhead. Good job he was eventually taken out to the side by security but that didn't stop the non drunk moshers.

So after about 5-6 songs of watching out for my glasses coming flying off I bailed to the safety of the back to enjoy the rest of the gig. Leave the stupid moshers to it. Even Ralf said from the stage that the moshing was getting a bit out of hand as lots of people were getting bumped into heavily and couldn't really enjoy the show and that they need to be more careful.

Anyway enough complaints and bullshit from me, the rest of the show was there to be enjoyed. Ralf sounded on top form live and it's the first time I'm seeing him as I said. He really channels his inner Halford at times and even uses the same hunched over pose when hitting the highs..
I enjoyed every song played pretty much. Eye of the Storm the epic from Apocalypse was brilliantly sung and played especially the climactic ending. King of Madness from Apocalypse another highlight. Main set closer Metal Is Forever was a rip roaring way to end the show too.

They returned for a 2 song encore featuring the epic Face The Darkness which was a great song and then ending with another pounding oldie in Running in the Dust. I left as the last strains of the last song ended and didn't stay to cheer them off as it was time to leave. It was good to final see the 'Fear live. It's been a bloody long time coming...Hails to Ralf and the boys!

Final Embrace
Chainbreaker
Blood, Sweat & Fear
Face The Emptiness
Hounds of Justice
The Ritual
Under Your Spell
Nuclear Fire
Eye of the Storm
King of Madness
The End Is Near
When Death Comes Knocking
Metal Is Forever

Encore:
Fighting The Darkness
Running In The Dus

No comments: